Working with The Hartford in the Aftermath
Steps to Take After the Event
After a disaster strikes, getting your life back together seems like a daunting task. At The Hartford, our focus is to help you identify what you need to do to start the recovery process as quickly as possible.
- Start by reporting your loss to The Hartford as soon as possible. Someone is available to help you 24/7, 365 days a year. Once you've reported your loss, our professionals are trained to guide you through the entire process of recovering your losses.
- Have your policy information handy when you report your loss. Also, make sure you have a phone number where we can reach you during the claims process.
- When it's safe to do so, document the damage and losses to your property. Take photos, video and create a written itemized list to give to your insurance agent. If you documented your property prior to the disaster, give a copy of that to your agent as well.
- Protect your property from further damage. You may need to have temporary repairs completed to protect your property from further damage. If completed prior to an inspection by one of The Hartford's claims adjusters, you should document the damage with photos or video whenever possible and retain itemized receipts for the temporary repairs completed, as these will assist with documenting your full claim.
- Save your receipts. If your home is unlivable for a period of time after the disaster, you may incur living expenses that are partially or fully covered by your insurance policy. Save all receipts for living expenses incurred during the period you were unable to return home.
- Call us with any questions and concerns. We are here to support you throughout this process. If you're unsure what to do next or have any questions about the process call us-we want to make sure the recovery period is as smooth and fast as possible.